Sunday, May 10, 2009

In Which, Rambling Occurred

It's Mother's Day!!
So, today is officially the first mother's day that I can remember not being at home with my mom. It's kinda weird.

The Weather
I'm not actually going to tell you about the weather just that today is pretty much the first day since I've been here that the sun has decided to stay out all day. It's awesome. I came home from work and the socks came off, and they are staying off. The downside is that I think I need to vacuum my house. The funny thing is the town is really starting to wake up. All the businesses are opening, the hotels are getting busier, and for the first time since leaving Edmonton I heard a car honk it's horn in frustration at a pedestrian. Next thing you know there might even be traffic jam!

Taking The Triumphs As They Come
Today is Sunday and if you are reading this and you know me, then you know that I am usually in church on Sunday. I don't really like working on Sundays and I'm hoping that pretty soon I won't have to. I've really been trying to make sure that I remember its Sunday, I read my scriptures a little longer, listen to church music, and try and keep my thoughts centered. The thing is, most of the people I work with are pretty rough. They drop f-bombs the way I say stupid. Its ridiculous. Some of them make an effort around me, and consequently only use the f-bomb every five words instead of three. I appreciate that. But today, I really didn't want to be around that. So I was pretty lucky because I was assigned to work by myself. It was a really good day. I got all my rooms done and I felt really good at the end. I feel like the more time I spend here in Waterton, the better I will be at setting goals and determining what I am capable of. That's the plan at least. So even though I had to work on Sunday, I feel like today I have been pretty blessed because I was able to get everything done and concentrate on the things that matter to me as I completed my work. All in all, it was a great day.

Connections
One of the funniest things about myself is the way I make connections with activities and people. For example, playing rockband. No matter where I am or who I am with, I will always think of Chuck and Cassie. Always because that's what we do. But, some of the weird connections are activities that you associate with people that you didn't ever do together. Like, cleaning a tub for instance. Whenever I am cleaning a tub I always think of one person. Always, so considering what I spend my days doing this person is always in my thoughts lately. Its a weird connection and because I have been cleaning tubs so much lately I've actually made an effort not to think about this person while I am doing it. But then I still think about them. So, its a lose-lose situation. It makes me frustrated with my own brain, because it feels like I can't control my brain. If that makes any sense. Maybe I'm just cleaning too many tubs. I need some real intellectual stimulation.

Intellectual Stimulation (You can't buy segways that good)
I have begun reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I love Jane Austen, seriously I'm not a huge lover of the classics for a person who loves literature but I read pride and prejudice in two weeks. I couldn't put it down which was really weird. Now that I reading Jane Austen again, it makes me love her style of writing all over again. She crafts her characters so carefully. They are well thought out, and so realistic. I draw parallels from her characters to people I actually know. It's awesome. Plus, unlike many classics, her novels move quickly because she really knows how to keep a readers attention, even if she is just discussing what a character looks like or acts like. I also love that she is not a romantic, so there are no five page descriptions of the weather outside. As an author, she recognizes that she needs to put pictures in the readers mind but not describe the brushstrokes that make up the pictures. I'm pretty excited about this book.

As always,
I can't get this song out of my head the past couple of days. A Millon Ways by Ok Go. I like these guys more and more each time I listen to them. I really like the lead singers voice and who wouldn't love a band that dances on treadmills? That alone made me a fan for life. Seriously, youtube it.

No comments:

Post a Comment