Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What, A Crazy Day

My Mom Said To Have An Adventure, So I Did
Well, Well, I don't even really know where to start with this posting. Its been a crazy day. Today was my day off and my friend also had it off until three so we decided to go and rent mopeds and drive up to red rock canyon for a couple of hours. I was so excited. I had been waiting to do this for awhile so I was really pumped. We got the mopeds and started off. Coming out of the town is a large hill and at the top is the historic Prince of Wales hotel which sits on a bluff and has amazing views. We had planned to stop there and take some pictures. The moped doesn't go to fast, the fastest speed is about 40 km/h so we had to gun it to make it up the hill. I was still a little shaky when we got to the turn off and I took it a little faster than I meant to and I crossed into the other lane where there was a car coming. The car just honked at me instead of slowing down so I decided to get as far over as I could and consequently smashed my knee into the guardrail. It hurt so incredibly bad, probably worse than anything I have ever done so far. Somehow I made it across to the other side and my friend helped me get off the bike. The car, that caused me to hit the rail just drove away. So there we are, on the side of the road and I was incredible pain. I could see that it was bleeding a bit so we decided to check it out. I think both of us wished we hadn't. Where my knee used to be, there was a 3 inch deep hole, that was at least 3 inches wide. It was disgusting. We both almost threw up right there. My friend didn't know what to do because 8 or more cars passed and no one stopped to help. He didn't want to leave me but he had no choice so he ran to the visitors centre to get help and then ran back. Then the fun really began, because the ambulance came. I had my first ambulance ride today and it was not enjoyable. I was in so much pain but the EMTs were so good. They kept me awake and alert, and calmed me down. They looked at my knee and just said we are going to a hospital. So I was taken to the Cardston Hospital in the back of a speeding, siren blaring ambulance. I was freaking out the whole way there, I thought I had ruined my entire summer and my chance to make my tuition money. I was just praying that it was nothing serious. The EMT told me that worst case scenario I had broken my femur and would need to have surgery. I freaked out. I did not want to have surgery. It was horrible. The whole way to Cardston they were trying to get an IV started to get some fluids in my system in case I did have to have surgery but they couldn't find a vein on either arm. I personally will always believe that I subconsciously would not allow my veins out, and so I never got an IV!!

Cardston Hospital
So I arrived at the Cardston hospital and I was immediately taken for X-rays which hurt like crazy because they had to transfer me to the x-ray bed and then contort my leg. It hurt like crazy but the x-rays showed no broken bones or fractures of any kind so my many, many prayers were answered. However my ray did show the 6 dollars in changed I had in my pocket. Then it was time to sew me up. I had an excellent doctor, Dr, Taylor who was very kind and nice as he was sewing me up. The lovely waterton EMT ladies stayed with me the whole time and held my hand. It took about half an hour to sew my knee up. I have 19 stitches on the top and probably triple that many in the three layers below my knee. Apparently the EMT told the hospital on the way there that my knew wouldn't sew up nice at all, but it's going to be ok I think. My scar will be a perfect capital C. The doctor and nurse kept telling me that meant I was going to marry someone with a last name beginning with C because of my scar. So my summer short wearing is ruined because I'll have this nasty knee healing.

The End Jist
In the end, I was very lucky. I was definitely protected today, everything seemed to work out even if it was a little crazy. My mom was able to call some family friends to come and give me a blessing and I feel pretty good now. My knee is, of course, throbbing, but I'm home, and I'm alive and fairly well. However I did lose a pair of jeans because they had to cut them up to get to my knee. But I didn't want them anyway, because there was chunks of my knee in them. I had to ask the EMT to cover my pants up so I wouldn't see it. It looked like ground pork. It was so gross. Ugh! I'm thankful that I'm relatively ok, and off work for the next little while. I'm glad that it wasn't to serious. It was only about 19 top stitches and about triple that many in the layers underneath. I think the doctor said that there was three layers of stitching. So, now I'm on couch rest for the next couple of days until I heal up and feel better. In about two weeks I will have to go back into Cardston to get my stitches out and hopefully I will be as good as new, just with a wicked scar. So I hobble and gimp now, my friend calls me Terry Fox, but I'm ok, which is great. I'm lucky because I have some good friends that are taking care of me, they brought me dinner tonight and phoned in my health care information for me. So I guess I had my adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Maddy, I am so glad you are Ok!!! You are one tough lady!!

    Miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes Maddy. I hope it heals quickly and there isn't too much pain. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work by the Dr. those will leave you with something to remember this summer with.
    Hope it heals quickly as you do not want it to slow you down this summer. So much to see and do.

    ReplyDelete