Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Sunburn, Snow, and A Human Popsicle

Though I'm Seven Hours South of My Readers, I'm actually in the North Pole

You know, I make such a big fuss about avoiding talking about the weather, but I do in almost every post so I should just get over my bias and move on from it. This weather news though is very exciting. June 5, 2009 is an important date here in waterton because its the first time in over forty years that it has snowed on that day. Yes snow, and not just a little, an entire foot of wet, cold, heavy snow. I was not impressed, esepcially considering it was my day off and I had just gotten a severe sunburn tanning for an hour two days before. It was not nice. The snow was absolutely miserable though on sunday night it cleared for about half an hour and I decided to go for a walk. It was really cool because the clouds were so low that they were covering the mountains and everything was crystalized. I got some really cool pictures by the lake of the cloudbank but the internet connection here is to slow to upload them. I had a great time though going for a walk by myself in the snow/rain!

It's Been Awhile
Honestly, I apologize for my lack of updating, I've been too busy. We recentyly had our hours changed from 9-5 and somehow that wears me out way more than 8-4, it just makes the day go longer. Not much has really happended in the past week with work, I just been a basic slave, cleaning rooms like crazy. They are trying to train us to get 10 rooms done everyday so they overload us with work and then push us to get it done. I'm getting much faster, but its still really hard work.

Party Hard, Or Go Home
So, I sort of made a commitment to myself to try new things when I got out here. Like climbing bears hump by myself (though that was not pre-meditated). One of the crazier things that I thought I would try was jumping in the lake. For those of you that don't know, Waterton lake is a glacier lake, so it is always freezing cold even in the summer but especially now. Last night it was probably about 22 degrees and after having dinner at my friends we went for a walk when I proclaimed that I wanted to jump in the lake tonight. Their roomate, is a crazy guy who runs 100 km races, and he jumps in everyday and has since may. He agreed to show me the ropes. So I did it and it was insane. As soon as I hit the water it was so cold it felt like all the air was sucked out of my lungs. All I remember thinking is surface and dock. My friend taped it on my camera and you can see me break and surface like two feet high straight out of the water and swin madly for the dock. I couldn't breathe even after I broke the surface until I was clinging to the dock. It was so fun and intense. The guy that jumped with me said the water was probably about 4 degrees warm. It was so cold. As soon as I got out though I started warming up, probably from adneraline. It was intense and I definately want to do it again. The best part is, that my very supportive friend invited to neighbouring tourists to watch, so two complete strangers saw me jump off the dock and climb back on. Luckily I was too busy, focusing on getting out of the water to care.

In other exciting news
I will be getting another roomate on the 25th and this time I will be sharing a room. I'm pretty excited because my other roomates were friends with her last year and they said she is alot of fun! Then are place will be offically full and we will offically have absolutely no room in the freezer!

I Haven't Written A Witty In So Long
So, as you have probably read my other witty stories (I just like to think they are witty) you know that I enjoy and recongize the need to laugh at myself regularily. This time is no exception. When we are cleaning rooms we do what is called stripping. You go in and strip the sheets off the beds and grabs the dirty towels. Then you tie this all together and make a sling type bag to carry it. It looks like a giant baby slinger bag that you see new moms carrying their kids in now days. Anyway I was cleaning at room at the Crandell which is a small hotel (only 18 rooms) that is more old-fashioned and quaint. Its supposed to be like a b and b. The room I was cleaning was a kitchenette suite with a double bed, two single beds, a double hideway bed, and six sets of towels. So my bundle was the size of three small children. I set it down my the table as I was finishing wiping out the fridge, and microwave. As I got off the chair I was standing on to reach the microwave above the fridge, I stepped right into my bundle. Most normal people would simply step right out but for some reason I turned and next thing I knew I was falling in slow motion to the floor completely tangled up in dirty sheets. When I landed I lay there for a moment, reflecting on my self-defeat and being grateful that I was working alone when I realized I couldn't get up because my legs were completely tangled in the sheets. It took me ten minutes to untangle myself. And they wonder why I'm slow at cleaning rooms.

I converted another ipod touch user.
For those of you that know me, you know just how much I love my ipod. Especially my ipod touch, which is really a mini computer and tens times easier to use than a pda or blackberry. Anyway I was singing the praises of my ipod touch and someone listened to me, my roommate. Yes, she proudly bought an ipod touch and so last night we set hers up and I and my other roommate watched as she played games for the next hour. Seriously, apple should reward me as a faithful consumer and promoter of their products!

Thats it for today!




No comments:

Post a Comment