Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Moving Man

Wayne and his wife Elaine on the top of Bear's Hump



This past week my great uncle Wayne Anderson passed away in Hawaii. An avid hiking, and climbing enthusiast, (really he was a professional) Wayne fell climbing Chinaman's Hat. This past fall for my documentary screening class I had the opportunity to outline a script for a documentary. I choose to do my piece as a profile of my uncle Wayne, and his many, many adventures. I had a wonderful opportunity to interview him, his wife Elaine, and family. It was last time I got to really talk with him, and I will cherish it always. This is a re-worked version of the pitch I wrote for that project entitled The Moving Man.


For some the greatest challenge in life is to live it to the fullest. It's a challenge to define ourselves against the expectations of society, responsibility, and expectation. It's hard to learn who we are when we are constantly battling against who we need to be. But we find hope in the lives of those who know who they are. Those who live their lives outside the normal boundary lines. Those irregular folk, who choose to live their lives with a zest, and zeal that's full speed, head on, pedal to the metal admirable. People like my uncle Wayne Anderson.

Wayne Anderson is a former prison guard, hiking enthusiast, and father of four. He grew up on a small farm in New Dayton, Alberta just outside of Lethbridge, Alberta. It was there, along with his six siblings that Wayne’s adventurous streak began to grow. At home on the farm Wayne grew up in a traditional sense, surrounded by nature, and his family. He spent his time between chores, and school finding ways to avoid chores and school, and escape from the farm. Eventually he found his way on the back of a motorcycle. From their his travels only increased as he rode his bike across Alberta, and into the States extensively. He rarely packed much, preferring to sleep outdoors, camp where necessary or barter for a place to sleep. His life was one of constant movement and chaos, and he wouldn't have had it any other way.

Despite his constantly moving nature Wayne eventually did settle down in the traditional sense. He married his wife Elaine, and they had four children. But his children were raised in an alternative style. Wayne, a major outdoorsman and hiking enthusiast had his children on the trails, in the rivers, and climbing mountains before most kids learn to ride a bike. He took his children on overnight hiking camps, rappelling, caving, and often bushwacking their way through the forest. His enthusiasm and love of the outdoors has been passed onto his children and all them still remain active hiking enthusiasts. His children were his pride and joy. You see, Wayne's secret talent wasn't his knowledge of ropes, knots, or hiking trails. His talent was more subtle and unique. He had the ability to make anyone feel special. When you were talking to Uncle Wayne you knew he was listening, and that for that minute (usually more) you were all his. It was evident to anyone who knew Wayne, and it's the thing I'll miss most.


I will miss my Uncle Wayne. I don't know any member of our family that wouldn't. He was a grand character. He was a man of story. He could tell and live them like no other. I will miss his stories, and my chances to make stories with him. He was a beloved man, and his family will always remember him. Selfishly I wish that he was still here, especially for his beautiful grandchildren. He was in their lives for too short a time but his stories and his way of life will always be passed on.

I entitled my piece The Moving Man because that is how I always knew him. It's hard to conjure up a memory of him sitting still. I know he's moving on now, and most likely still finding ways to get in some trouble. I'm sure his hope for us to move on too. He was never one to stand around, and he wouldn't want us to either. So for my Uncle Wayne I promise to get outside, hike a little more, and get myself some more stories. I'm going to need to practice if I'm going to be as good as him.


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this tribute to Uncle Wayne! Thank you Maddy....you captured him so perfectly! I miss him so...but am so grateful I got some good memories with him....even if it involved a scar! lol.

    ReplyDelete