Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In which, We Rescued a Pig

Country Living

Before I get started telling you about the latest excitement in my life, I have to say that I am really sick of this program. For some reason the font changes every time, though I always pick the same font. Its very frustrating for someone as pretentious about the font they use, as I am. Ugh!

Anyway so not too much new to report, I'm still working all the time and keeping busy. I can't wait to get home. I'm getting really tired of Waterton in case you have noticed, but I'm having fun distracting myself until its time to go home.

So, as you know JT's cabin has already been a place for many grand adventures for me. I almost broke my neck there last time on a zip line. This time, was a little more interesting. I mentioned in my last post that the Pillings had just gotten a pig that would soon be heading to the slaughterhouse. Sunday we went to the cabin to hang out, and the pig was still alive. They named her Wilbur, and JT loves this pig more than his dog or any other animal. She is a totally cute pig. She is extremely loyal and follows us when we drive out on the quads to chase the buffalo. So she was following us when we went into the pasture to see the horses. The Pillings have very nice, beautiful, and usually gentle horses. Before they saw the pig they came right up to us so we could pet them, but then they saw the pig. Those horses went insane. They started stampeding the pig and trying to bite it. Their lips were curled back and everything. JT took off running after them (and keeping up) punching the horses in the face when they got close to the pig. He started screaming at Zoe and Me to start the quad and head them off. Unfortunately we had to the pull the choke chain to get the quad started so we were unable to get it started. So he ran back, shoved me off and started heading the horses off. The horses would not stop, we were yelling and screaming at them and they would not stop attacking the pig. Finally JT threw his body over the pig and starting screaming at his little sister and Zoe to hit the horses. I wasn't near the horses and I really was not about to start throwing punches at those animals. But Zoe and Camis were braver than me and they punched those horses in the face and kicked them until they left the pig alone.

Pig Rescue

So after the horse stopped stampeding to kill the pig we knew we had to get Wilbur out of there fast. We got the other quad and literally lifted the pig up onto it so JT could hold it and we could get out there as fast we could, because the horses were still eyeing us. We made it up over the hill before the pig fell off the quad and so we tried to lead it down the hill. That didn't work out so well and the pig started running back toward the horses so Zoe threw herself on the pig. Eventually I lifted the pig back onto the quad and we made it safely out of the pasture. That poor pig was so tired, it was foaming at the mouth. But everything worked out and Wilbur lived another day.

Buffalo Chasing
Chasing the buffalo is probably the most fun thing to do at the cabin, whether we are in the jeep, the suburban or on the quads. This time we were chasing them on the quad. I was on a quad with JT's littlest sister Camis driving and his other sister Mariah behind me. We've had a lot of rain here the past two weeks so everything was really muddy and gross. Chunks of mud were flying everywhere and then Camis hit some fresh buffalo dung. I moved my head just in time but Mariah did not and she was sprayed completely in the face. She washed herself off (and missed the whole pig vs. horse match) but when we were sitting down to dinner, Zoe looks at her and discovers that her whole ear is full of buffalo poop. So gross!

Pond Living

We ended the day at the pond after everyone had gone on the zip line (except me, I'm still a little leery). We were again trying to catch/terrorize the ducks and geese. I was standing at the end of the dock and all the kids were behind me because we were all trying to catch the ducks and geese. When like a complete domino effect, JT's dad and Zoe's Dad push us. It all happened in slow motion. We all slowly moved to the water, and I was so shocked. My last thought before I hit the water was, "we're not actually going to go in the water." I hit the water spread eagle and took everyone down with me. When I surfaced my first thought was of the fish, and then I realized my glasses were on my face so I tried frantically grabbing them. Unfortunately I grabbed the back of Zoe's hoodie and she freaked out because she thought I was trying to drown her, so I immediately let go and then actually located my real glasses. We all made it back onto the deck and the adults were laughing hysterically. Apparently I had the most shocked look on my face, which I don't doubt because I honestly believed we weren't actually going in the water.

So that was this weeks adventure at the cabin. At least I didn't get hurt or hurt anyone else, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment